From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:09:33 -0700
I have been contacted by a mom who had a first trimester mammogram that
showed microcalcifications of one breast; a subsequent incisional bx showed
atypical hyperplasia (DIN 1b by AFIP definition). No follow-up film was done
due to the pregnancy, so there is an uncertainty as to whether they got all
the affected cells in the biopsy. She is about 39 wks now.

 Her own mother had breast cancer develop during a pregnancy at age 32. This
mother has been told that she will need to wean completely after baby is
born so that they can do another mammogram on her. Because she is dealing
with military health care, she says she cannot get another doctor.

Lactnet archive posts by some of our resident docs suggest that mammograms
can be done on emptied, otherwise lactating breasts. Given the more crucial
situation, is this still true? My question about weaning for a mammogram is
to how long she must be "weaned"-- I assume that it's more than about
milk-filled tissue, but about dense lactating tissue. Would they need to
wait a time for involution before testing?

It has been suggested to mom that she can do a unilateral weaning for the
mammogram, and then if the film is clear, re-lactate the breast in question.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lisa Marasco