From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:02:34 EDT
Judy wrote:
"Connecting it to breastfeeding:  How does one make it a family tradition
 if the child is weaned too early to remember it?  BF would more easily
 become a family tradition if the children in the family sustain it long
 enough to say "Remember when....."

Judy,
There are definately "memories" I have from my childhood which really rely upon the fact that I heard these things talked about over and over again, often by people who "assumed" I remembered. I realize that all experiences are stored at the cellular level, but I am referring to an accessing of those memories though storytelling. Haven't you noticed how a child will be asked if her remembers "when you were 2 and we went on vacation to the big lake and swam and ..."? The child will often suddenly "remember" the more he gathers he is supposed to and the more you supply the remembering. My oldest children weaned between 4 1/2 and 5 and I know they actually have easily accessable memories of nursing, but I am sure our stories about it keep it very much alive for them. And I also think that the fact that they perceive these memories as very important helps as well. So, perhaps you can raise the cellular memory to one of accessability through telling your own stoies and memories to !
the child.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA