From:
Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 21:47:59 -0600
The mother with the denuded nipples called today as I had
requested her to do.  She is breastfeeding on cue (about
every hour) on both breasts and supplementing with formula
when baby not satisfied.  (The decision to do so was her
own.)  She gave 5 oz. of formula yesterday.  I told her it
was OK that she gave formula on a temporary basis while
working on milk supply.  She is also taking a tincture
containing galactagogues including fenugreek and goat's
rue.  The store that sold it to her said it takes about 5 -
7 days to get results

We had tried a nipple shield 7 weeks ago.  Baby hadn't liked
it and she hadn't felt it helped, but she is going to try it
again.

I talked with the mother's physician about vitamin E, and he
read the info in Hale's 2000 book.  Doctor was in favor of
trying it if we could find a dosage of less than 100 mg.  He
said she could use it 3 times a day for a week.  I am trying
to find a suitable dosage form for her, so haven't talked to
her yet about the vitamin E.  I think just having the baby
less hungry at feedings will help.

She also switched back from medium to slow flow nipples,
because he was preferring the bottle to the breast.

Thanks again to everyone who has given input, suggestions,
and encouragement.

--
Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC from the sunny S.W. USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]