From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 06:30:26 -0700
Gretchen Ehrenberg <[log in to unmask]> passed on an Associated Press
article about Daniel Barenboim playing a Wagner overture as an encore,
causing an outcry and condemnation.  I would just like to point out that
earlier, fuller articles about this concert mentioned that Barenboim held
a 30 minute discussion BEFORE he played the encore, polling the audience.
A clear majority wanted him to play the Wagner overture.  He then offered
those who disagreed the opportunity to leave the hall before he began.
Some did so; others chose to remain and make their feelings known -- some
during, and some after the piece was performed.  In my opinion, what he
did was brave, and the way he did it was sensitive to the feelings of his
audience, and therefore I don't think his action should be condemned.

Dave Wolf