From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 23:18:25 -0400
Anne Ozorio writes:

>There must be many other songs people can recommend from personal
>experience? My brain is asleep at this moment but I'd bet that Schubert,
>Mendelsohn (apart from the obvious) and probably Loewe would have set
>something of Shakespere

Schubert set "Who Is Sylvia?" (An Sylvia) in July, 1826.  In the same
month he wrote" Trinklied" and "Hark, Hark, the Lark".  That appears to
be the totality of Schubert settings of Shakespeare, a conclusion based
on the list given by Brian Newbould, in " Schubert, the Music and the Man"
(California).  "An Sylvia" is a particularly buoyant and cheerful song,
beautifully performed by (among many others,I am sure) Shirai and Hoell.

Bernard Chasan