From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:21:35 -0500
Anne Ozorio wrote:

>There must be many other songs people can recommend from personal
>experience? My brain is asleep at this moment but I'd bet that Schubert,
>Mendelsohn (apart from the obvious) and probably Loewe would have set
>something of Shakespere

Aside from the big guns you mention, I would like to recommend the solo and
choral settings by Sir Henry Bishop.  He composed these works as incidental
music for various Shakespeare plays put on at the time in London.  Since he
lived in the same era as Schubert and Mendelssohn, his classical leanings
are easy to hear, although there are some original Romantic touches here
and there which are nice.  (According to the notes, Bishop inspired Gilbert
and Sullivan.) The CD I own is titled "Shakespeare in Covent Garden" and is
performed by the Musicians of the Globe and led by Philip Pickett (Philips
456 506-2).

Mark K. Ehlert