From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 03:10:29 +0200
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It seems like music was a half-step lower 250+ years ago!  When did A440
>became the standard?

It seems the tuning modified much 1880-1930.  My source is Alexandr
Glazunow, who had an absolutlely perfect pitch and lived his whole life
with music.  He said to Sjostakovitj, among one of many occasions he
mentioned that fact, that he at that time heard a half note higher than
the notated value (How much is that in Hertz? Perhaps Mr Chasan can
tell?), compared to when he was young.

Is there any rational explanation to why the pitch floated so much during
this time period? (- I siletly notice that is falls together with other
important changes in performance practice).

Mats Norrman