From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:01:01 -0800
Wilson Pereira ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Label: Disky (unknown to me).
>Orchestra: Philharmonia Orchestra.
>Conductor: Paul Kletzki.
>Tenor: Murray Dickie.
>Baritone: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.
>
>Anyway, I'd like to hear opinons of another passionate Mahlerites of this
>list about this so - how should I say? - a discarded recording?

It's very good and many prefer it to DFD's remake in 1966 with Bernstein
and the VPO.

However, the Kletzki recording you really need to hear is his 1950s Mahler
4, also made with the Philharmonia about a month before Dennis Brain died
and probably one of his last recordings.

Many of us consider this one of the finest 2 or 3 recordings of the work
ever made.

Kletzki's Sibelius 2 is also very fine and his Schubert Rosamunde overture
is the most exciting I've ever heard.

Deryk Barker