From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:20:40 -0800
Wilson Pereira wrote:

>Label: Disky (unknown to me).
>Orchestra: Philharmonia Orchestra.
>Conductor: Paul Kletzki.
>Tenor: Murray Dickie.
>Baritone: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.
>
>Anyway, I'd like to hear opinons of another passionate Mahlerites of this
>list about this so - how should I say? - a discarded recording?

It's always seemed to me that DFD did a better job with Kletzki than with
Bernstein.  He is less exaggerated here than in the later one.  Of course
Kletzki is less exaggerated than Lenny also.

I saw Kletzki conduct it in 1962 with the L.A. Phil, with Carol Smith and
the tenor with Reiner's recording.  That was a fine performance.

Bill S