From:
Lisa Dugan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:35:43 -0500
Yaffa,

According to Hale... [progesterone]... "is not likely to affect your milk supply" ...  and ...  "So I doubt that progesterone controls milk production. In fact, some people believe that too much progesterone can suppress lactation. I'm not sure of this however."

But my personal experience would agree with your patient's lament.  I recently began a course of Prometrium (200mg 3x/day)to help achieve / sustain pregnancy.  By the second day, my 3 year-old nursling was complaining that "the mimi's are not working."  His personal repertoire of squeeze/massage or side-switching proved fruitless.  On day 3,  I started taking Fenugreek (2) and Brewers Yeast (6) tablets with each meal (3x/day) and noticed improvement the next day and within several days my supply is back to normal.  I had taken the Brewers yeast before with good results but this sudden loss of milk was so dramatic I went with the Fenugreek as well.

If I am not pg. then I will go off the progesterone and the herbs and then resume post-ovulation next cycle with all three -- hopefully preventing the progesterone to "cause" the loss of milk to occur.

Lisa Dugan
LLL Leader
Southern NJ