Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:19:52 -0400
I will be brief, I know everyone is ready to move on from this topic, but...

Desmond Morris' ideas about breasts and buttocks, indeed his book Naked Ape
is what some of us like to call "Folk Anthropology". Sort of the Archie
Bunker armchair anthro. There is little or no "science" to it, and is not at
all accepted in academic anthro circles.

However, his theories about breasts being proturberant for the reasons he
states further strengthen my previous post on the subject: Female evolution
as corrollary to mens (Adam's rib?) and in REACTION to men's desires. It
doesn't work this way. This is another example of seeing evolution through
the male gaze "they got big breasts, men like big breasts, they must have
evolved that way for men to like/ in response to men liking them." Purely
cultural. (and pure bunk)

Evolution will favor infants' desires to survive and grow to procreate;
having ventral breasts allows for easier breastfeeding, and breasts are a
very convenient place to store fat for those of us so inclined. In other
words, it is far more likely that breasts in primates are the way they are
in reaction to INFANT demands, or better stated, to demands made by the
mothering relationship.

Michelle DePesa