Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:29:04 EDT
In a message dated 4/18/01 7:32:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I  read several  posts in the past that refer to rebirthing a newborn to aid
> in establishing breastfeeding in a difficult situation.  After reading the
> article about the 10 yr. old child who died, I wonder if someone could
> explain the proper rebirthing technique in regard to breastfeeding, and what
> the indications for use might be.  How does this technique work?

What I have heard and seen and read about rebirthing as it relates to
breastfeeding is bathing with the baby, letting the baby float in the water -
like they floated in the amneotic (sp?) fluid, and letting the baby "find the
nipple." There is a video, I think it's called "Mandy and Matt" or "Matt and
Mandy" that shows the technique.  It has nothing to do with covering the
child and cutting off his/her air supply.

Dori Dorfman
Teaneck, NJ