From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:44:40 -0400
In my previous posting on this thread, I had negative comments about
Perahia's performances of three Handel Harpsichord Suites on his Sony disc.
Since then, I have listened a few times to his performances on the same
disc of a few D.  Scarlatti Sonatas.  Unfortunately, I can't muster up
anything better to say about Perahia's Scarlatti than I did concerning
his Handel interpretions.

I am very disappointed in this recording.  As indicated before, the playing
bears little resemblance to Perahia's Bach performances.  I am aware that
the Handel/Scarlatti disc received a few awards from various sources; such
are the mysteries of life when the man who can do no wrong is at the helm.
For me, the disc is one of the worst classical recordings I have ever
purchased and warrants the 'raspberry' award.  I am committed to including
the Handel performances in my upcoming review of various Handel harpsichord
suite recordings, but it's not a task I look forward to.  Only a lobotomy
is likely to change my views.

Don Satz