From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 01:05:05 -0400
I'm in the process of preparing for a little review project involving
recordings of the Handel Suites for Harpsichord.  Usually, I reserve any
comments until review time, but I just have to relate my first impressions
of an aspect of the Murray Perahia disc containing Handel Suites and some
Scarlatti Sonatas.

First, a little background.  My favorite Handel Suite is No.5 in E
major HWV 430, and it's not because of the famous last movement Air with
Variations known as the "Harmonious Blacksmith".  My affection for the work
comes primarily from the Allemande and its Prelude introduction.  I find
this music so uplifting; it makes me feel great no matter what kind of day
it has been.  So when I acquire a disc having BWV 430, I immediately start
listening to the Prelude/Allemande.

That's just what I did after buying the Perahia disc at a local store, and
I have to tell you that I was really floored by the performance.  I have
all of Perahia's Bach keyboard recordings; no matter what else I think of
them, I consider the readings always eminently tasteful and pleasureable.
Therefore, I was not prepared for what Perahia does to the Prelude and
Allemande from BWV 430.  From the start of the Prelude, it is clear that
Perahia is going to romanticize Handel's music into what could be called
a fifth Brahms Ballad.  Hushed tones, shifting dynamics, and a precious
quality pervade his performance.  I'll likely catch hell for this, but
Richter's Prelude/Fugue on EMI is a real man's performance; Perahia sounds
like a delicate little 'sissy' who would cry and break at the slightest
upset.

For what it's worth, the Harmonious Blacksmith sounded very good.  But, I
will never be able to comprehend the need of some pianists to take baroque
music and make it sound like a work composed in 1860.  Well, with little
exception, I've never understood the appeal of music from the romantic
period to begin with.  It must be a very strong appeal when high quality
performers take music from a different era and twist it to satisfy their
romanticized urges.

There is another odd thing about the Perahia disc.  The back cover of the
booklet has a photograph of Perahia which is the exact same photograph on
the front cover of one of his Bach keyboard discs.  What a clever way to
save on film and lightbulbs!  We can always count on Sony Classical to give
us meaningful innovations.

Don Satz