Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:18:47 +0000

>She said she was nursing the baby constantly it seemed and she was more
>thirsty and she got sleepy when she was nursing the baby. She also reports
>never having any full feeling when her milk came in. Never any engorgement
>feelings at all. Very little leaking. Also she never felt any milk let down
>ever. These last few observations did not seem normal to me at all.

Tammie, I have no knowledge of the hypothyroidism other than what is
in tje medical textbooks, but all those observations you outline
above are well within normal - in fact when a newborn feeds well from
the start it is highly possible the mother feels no fullness when the
milk comes in - the baby is expertly and efficiently dealing with the
extra. Leaking is very variable between women, as are feelings of let
down. It is perfectly normal to have no leaking, and normal not to
feel let down (I never did, for example, when actually feeding,
though I sometimes did feel a surprise let down when I leaked without
a baby there!)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK