From:
Frances Coss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:48:19 -0500
Breast surgery and re lactation

I got a call from a mother who is due to deliver her 2nd baby in approx 2
weeks.  She has a benign tumor in a milk duct in her left breast (per a
recent sonogram of the breast).  Her OB and general surgeon are advising
her to have the exploratory surgery (to remove the affected duct - that is
all) within 4 weeks of delivery.  They have told her she needs to be "dried
up" before the surgery, or there would be complications.  (I do not know
the specific details on what the complications would be)  She has been
advised to NOT initiate nursing the baby before surgery.   Her OB suggested
she call LLL, that's where I come in.
I just moved and I have no idea where my resources are.   Could you please
direct me to some resources on the Internet?
If Diana West reads this, would you please email me?  Will one less duct be
a milk production concern?  She has been assured they would only take the
affected duct.
Is this just a matter of re lactation once the doctor "clears" her for
nursing?
I use the term re lactation as she nursed her 1st son for 4 months.
Thank you,
Frances Coss