From:
Edie Eckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:31:43 -0500
I received the following e-mail and thought I would pass it along  to
Lactnet.  This is a great opportunity for some of us to give input into an
interesting research project.

Edie Eckman

Read on...

From: Stephanie Weeks, a doctoral student in social psychology at North
Carolina State University. In a message dated 2/20/1 8:33:58 AM:

This message is regarding a new study being undertaken to look at
breastfeeding practices. Unlike previous research, this study proposes to
examine breastfeeding in mainstream American women. Past studies have
largely looked at low-income mothers, adolescent mothers, and mothers in
developing nations. We want to look at mainstream American women for a
variety of reasons. One of these reasons is that this group seems to be more
committed to breastfeeding and more successful at it than other groups.
Thus, part
of our aim is to see what factors predict successful breastfeeding.

I am writing to you to ask your support in obtaining women to participate
in this study. Participation requires answering a brief survey by anonymous
email. It is our hope that you will ask the members of your respective
lists to respond. The larger our final sample size, the better we will be
able
to predict what engenders successful breastfeeding.

The survey and instructions for completion are located at

www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/s/swweeks/www/breastfeeding_survey.htm

All participants should first read the informed consent statement located
at www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/s/swweeks/www/informedconsent.htm

All responses must be received by March 5, 2001 to be included in the
study.

Any questions should be sent to the Principal Investigator at

Stephanie Weeks is a doctoral student in social psychology at North
Carolina
State University.

Thank you for your time and your support.

Sincerely,

Stephanie W. Weeks