Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:03:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I'm wondering, if a mom is only nursing from one breast (for whatever reason: slower milk ejection in the other breast, eczema, baby's preference) does she experience a decrease in the risk of breast cancer in that breast ONLY?  I've been curious about this since I read about women with mastectomies who went on to nurse on one side.  This is also close to my heart because (after four years of nursing 2 children) I weaned from one breast due to severe nipple eczema when second baby was 14 months.  I plan to nurse on the other breast for quite a while longer (my older daughter is 4 and still nursing and my 17 month old is showing no signs of weaning), so I'm wondering if I need to be more careful about BSE on the non-producing side.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

--Julie Rosen

BTW: Thanks to Katherine Dettwyler for posting the 20/20 producer's name.  I talked to her about my experiences with "extended" nursing.  She seems very open-minded and supportive and was very concerned about what happened to that mom in Illinois.  It's encouraging to think a mainstream TV program may actually present this topic in a positive light.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2