From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:02:50 -0800
Heard this author on am news show along with Dr. Susan Love.

I've been reading all the posts on failed attempts at
breastfeeding initiation with moms' "no milk" status.
There are birth medicants, immediate birth control shots,
the mother's diet (avoiding dairy/beef as she says)
exposure to chemicals and pesticides in the environment
all playing a key part.  Since WWII we are a different
chemicalized society with our endocrine systems paying
the largest price, I fear. Both voluntary and involuntary
exposure is changing our bodies and our offsprings',
and not for the better.  For how many more generations
can we reproduce and still feed with these problems?
Judy Ritchie

whole article
http://www.escribe.com/health/aspartameNM/m393.html

Partially requoting:

Prof Jane Plant CBE, author of Your Life in Your Hands,
was diagnosed with breast cancer 13 years ago. She was 42, a
successful geochemist (she is now chief scientist of the
British Geological Survey), and led, she thought, a healthy life.

There was no history of breast cancer in her family. She
discovered that "only five to 10 per cent of breast cancers are
the result of inherited genes, and the disease may not always
develop, even in those carrying the mutated gene."  Bamboozled
by jargon and frozen with panic, she fell back on her scientific
training to try and figure out how she had developed the disease,
and how best to cure herself.

She went on the Bristol diet, she had a mastectomy, she had
radiotherapy, she had her ovaries irradiated (to induce menopause
and eliminate oestrogen), she asked questions and did lots of
research. To no avail.

By the time of the cancer's fifth recurrence (it spread into the
lymph), she was given a course of chemotherapy and three months
to live. She had an egg-sized tumour on the side of her neck.

Brainstorming one night with her fellow scientist husband about
why, in the West, one in 10 women get breast cancer (one in 14
in Ireland), while in China it's only one woman in 10,000,
the pair came up with the simple answer: Chinese people don't eat
dairy products.

Plant eliminated all dairy products (including goat and sheep)
from her diet. Six weeks later, the tumour had disappeared.

She advocates thorough and frequent self-examination of your
breasts, and, if you do develop breast cancer, self-empowerment
by working with your doctor "as a partner, not as a victim".

Overall, however, it was her professional research as a
geochemist into the links between disease and trace elements
(such as selenium) in the environment in China and Korea that
led to her insight about the role of dairy produce in her
cancer. She finds the medical profession particularly
shortsighted about the influence of environmental factors,
such as pollution and industrialisation, on disease:
"I think public health has done a lot for the elimination
of infectious diseases, but looking at the environment and
nutrition could do the same for a lot of degenerative
diseases."

She quotes studies in the US and Canada in 1998 which found
that pre-menopausal women with the highest IGF-1
concentration in their blood had a far higher risk of developing
breast cancer (similar studies have found a link between IGF-1
and prostate cancer). The drug Tamoxifen, prescribed for
women with breast cancer, is thought to work by reducing
circulating IGF-1 levels.

"Over 70 per cent of the world's population are unable to
digest the milk sugar, lactose," she observes. "Lactose
intolerance may be nature's early warning system: perhaps
nature is trying to tell us that we're eating the wrong food."
Homogenisation apparently only enables cancer-producing
chemicals to reach the bloodstream quicker.

Plant has done her homework: "Epidemiological studies
have indicated a positive correlation between dairy product
consumption and breast cancer risk going back two decades.
Studies have found an increase in breast cancer risk among
women who consumed milk (especially whole milk) and/or cheese."

In 1977 scientists examining the incidence of breast cancer
in Japan found "a significant increase in both the consumption of
dairy products and the occurrence of breast cancer in urban areas".

She quotes more research to suggest that "free oestrogens,"
found in commercial pasteurised whole cow's milk and in
skimmed milk, may stimulate expression of IGF-1 resulting in
"indirect long-term tumour growth".

She lists dioxins and other damaging environmental chemicals,
some of them carcinogenic, which are often fat soluble and end
up "particularly concentrated" in milk.

As for the argument that we need dairy products because they
contain calcium, Plant quotes the World Health Organisation's
finding that countries which have low intakes of calcium do
not have an increased incidence of osteoporosis: "Scientific
studies into calcium absorption have shown that only 18 to 36%
of the calcium in milk is taken up by the body."

Your Life in Your Hands by Jane Plant is published by Virgin
at £16.99 in UK      Leslie Dungan, Dublin
http://www.litopia.com/jplant/

Welcome to BCUP's website
Breast Cancer Understanding & Prevention (BCUP)

BCUP is the foundation established by Professor Jane Plant CBE
to promote more widespread understanding of the insights into
the causes of breast cancer as first described in her book
"Your Life In Your Hands", published in Britain by Virgin
Publishing Ltd. BCUP is currently in the process of acquiring
charitable status in the UK.

Professor Jane Plant is one of Britain's most distinguished
female scientists. She has won many scientific honors, and
last year was presented with British science's highest award
-- the Lord Kilgerran Prize.