From:
Dan Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:15:00 -0500
On the one hand, I agree with the post which said that we should just stick to calling it formula so people know what we're talking about, and so we don't come off sounding judgmental (as in "inferior, chemical soup for unfortunate infants").  On the other hand, how are we to go about changing people's perceptions of what formula is?  The term "formula" implies that scientists who know what they're doing are carefully mixing and measuring to come up with something nearly as perfect as mother's milk ((that's what all the commercials say: "Breast is best but this formula is second best" (ignoring the fact that it is a distant second)).  I'm sure if more people really knew what was in formula, they'd never feed it to their babies (even as an occasional "relief" bottle), unless they really had no other choice.  Why not call it what it should BE -- "emergency non-breastmilk substitute for infants", or at least, use the word "substitute", since it implies that it is not on equal footing with breastmilk?

BTW, I am not anti-formula.  I have known enough moms who were in situations where it HAD to be used.  I am only against its misuse.  And I think, no matter how we feel,  we have to be careful not to judge and to meet moms where they are.  If I can be accepting of my bottle-feeding friend today, perhaps I can influence her to breastfeed tomorrow.

--Julie Rosen (Dan of the email address is my wonderful hubby)