From:
Jim & Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:13:02 -0600
Cathy,
How exciting to be able to create a display.  I think the biggest
lesson I have learned over the years is KISS (stands for Keep It
Simple Sweetie-other words have been used for the second "S").  The
first temptation is to load it up with all the great info
available.  Fight this urge whatever you do!  I would say pick out
the basic info, then eliminate at least half of it.  Better to have
some open spaces than to make it to "busy".
One approach you might take is to concentrate on pictures.  You
might have copies of some of the old Masters painting of a nursing
couple as well as some of the cross-cultural ones available.
Another approach would be infant feeding through the ages with
emphasis on how artificial feeding is still an "experiment in
progress" while breastfeeding has withstood the test of time..
Or, you might want to have a few select hazards of artificial
feedings along with some lovely nursing photos.  (I like to use the
postcard sized Fact Packs you can get from Linda Smith at bflrc.com
(I have no commercial interest in these).  If you can access the
display frequently and if it is going to be up for any length of
time, you might want to change the "facts" from time to time to keep
up interest.
No matter what kind of theme you use, be sure there is an indication
of where people can go for further information.  The basic rule for
entertainers applies here - "Leave 'em wanting more".
Good luck
Winnie Mading RNC. LLLL, IBCLC