From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:24:17 -0500
It makes me feel very sad as I read about this case to hear that the mother
has been trying to attend work-related events with a baby less than six
weeks old and that she's trying to introduce bottles and pacifiers to
prepare for her imminent return to work. It must be very difficult to
maintain breastfeeding in that situation - and I know mothers manage it, but
it must be tough.

If it's possible in her situation, I think that spending a couple of days in
bed with the baby might help. Encourage the baby to nurse as often as
possible, use Rachel's side-lying and nursing from the top breast position,
and rest and relax. Babies are almost always more effective than pumps at
emptying breasts!

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario