From:
Glyn and Jessica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:11:33 -0000
Valerie said: "I would like to mention that pancrease as well as many other
enzymes have the possibility of being genetically engineered. ... It matters
to me because I think we have no idea what the long-term effect will be on
our health and to the environment. "

As always, there's another point of view. Here's mine.
I'm not sure I would feel as strongly about genetically engineered products
if I had to rely on them to live. People with cystic fibrosis have to take
pancreatic enzyme supplements before every meal, breastfeeds included. The
development of synthetic enzymes, amongst other things, has helped push the
life expectancy of the average CF sufferer to above 40 for babies born now.
Maybe genetic engineering would make these enzymes work even better, who
knows.
Jessica Gooch
Trainee Supporter, Breastfeeding Network UK