From:
Tina Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:38:04 -0500
I have taught my 16 month old sign language (very basic...eat, drink, book,
done, more) he picked it up amazingly quick!  Family and friends are always
amazed to see this litle child signing so well and appropriately.  It was
very natural for me to do this because I was a spec. ed. teacher for ten
years and signed (once again basically) in the classroom a lot.  I never
read the baby sign book although I did see him on an interview once.  I
really feel it lessens the frustrations of not being able to communicate
before expressive (verbal) speech is developed.  Also, I always say the
word when I sign because of course speech is the ideal.

Tina BS, future IBCLC