From:
Joan Edelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:55:52 -0700
Chris,

Thanks for the congrats - yes, we're incredibly excited!!! On top of
that, I get to go on a professional trip to Cuba where we'll visit
maternity hospitals and hopefully get to meet with the UNICEF Baby
Friendly folks down there. They have 32 Baby Friendly Hospitals and
Clinics, which only goes to show how far behind we are and how
controlled by the formula companies.

To be honest, I do think most "...of us are willing to perform, read,
talk about & formally critique lots ofthe orginal research and then
openly state what the consequences are of that research." I really don't
think that's the issue at this point. I've managed several cancer email
lists and nothing is more destructive to the integrity of a list than
flaming. While you may welcome it, most people don't and it's usually
not a helpful way to get your point across. The only list I was ever on
that allowed it I ultimately left. It was a (non-cancer) health related
list and I couldn't see the facts through the flames. It just wasn't
possible to learn.

So I think that if we stick to a discussion about research on
breastfeeding and health without judging or flaming eachother we can
meet the goals we all share.

Best,
Joan Edelstein, DrPH, RN
Professor of Maternity Nursing