From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:20:44 -0800
Cindy ([log in to unmask]):  You poor thing...I am sorry that my email somehow
contributed toward your feeling assassinated.  Surely, my intent was to
educate you and those who may not remember my previous explanation of
relative risk.  I know how it feels to not have had an ounce of mother's
milk as a baby (I was formula fed and pay the price in spite of a high IQ)
and I often wonder what could have been...BUT...just because we didn't know
any better "in the good ole days" doesn't mean we should continue making the
same stupid mistakes especially when we now have mounds concrete evidence
that formula DOES cause many horrible outcomes.
> Yeah, no kidding.  Why don't you look over this message you just sent me.  You
> have implied that I have been exposed to something bad (formula), as if it
> were disease causing, and then implied I am not normal because I was bottle
> fed.
>
> And, the smoker analogy doesn't fly with me because smoking causes cancer.
> Smoking will kill you.  I will not get cancer because I was bottle fed.  I
> will not die because I was bottle fed.  I may be at risk for certain types of
> cancers because of formula.  But, this is not the same as implying formula
> causes cancer.

Your email (below) says that "smoking is different" because it causes
cancer.  Based upon THE SAME CALCULATIONS AS WE USE FOR SMOKING AND CANCER I
maintain that formula causes juvenile diabetes (1) (up to 26 time higher
than in breastfed kids, many times leads to life threatening complications),
leukemia (2, 8, 9) and lymphoma (6) (which is often fatal), and a ten-fold
increase in  hospitalizations for infections (3), and among other things
KILLS 4 OUT OF EVERY 1000 BABIES BORN THIS YEAR in the US(4-7).  Our infant
mortality rate in the US would go from 7/1000 to 3.0/1000 if all babies were
breastfed for the first year of life. DO THE MATH---4 million babies are
born each year here--THAT MEANS THAT 16000 BABIES DIED LAST YEAR DUE TO
FORMULA!   If death doesn't get ya goat, how about toxic contamination
(10-15), or do you like your babies to glow in the dark so they're easier to
find?
> If you so badly want me on your side, present the facts.  No judgement.  No
> lectures.  Plain facts.  And then trust me to possess the intelligence and
> maturity to make my own decision by myself.  And then, respect that decision,
> even if you don't like it.  Isn't this what you want from everyone else?
I think you are kidding yourself and your patients, and doing  your future
children a world of disservice. >
> You have not convinced me to exclusively breastfeed my future children.  You
> have convinced me that I need to be *extremely* careful about approaching any
> LC because it appears anyone with an alternate view is immediately put on the
> defensive.

 Where have you been for the past 20 years?  I would go as far as to say
that you are ignorant to the facts and now you are in denial.  If the
following references have whet your appetite for a dual, I personally (as
well as your local library and the Center for Breastfeeding Information)
have stacks (hundreds) of articles from peer reviewed, scientific journals.
I haven't even mentioned issues of IQ or cancer risks DUE TO formula to the
mother (16-18) or detriments to society ( see others).

1-MAYER, EJ et al.  Reduced risk of IDDM among breastfed children.  DIABETES
37: 1625-32. 1988.

2-Schwartzbaum JA, George SL, Pratt CB, Davis B. An exploratory study of
environmental and medical factors potentially related to childhood cancer.
Med pediatr Oncol 1991;19:115-21

3-Fallot, ME, Boyd, JL, Oski F.  "Breastfeeding reduces incidence of
hospital admissions for infections.""  PEDIATRICS, 65:1121-24, 1980.

4-Damus, K, Pakter, J, Krongard E et al.  "Postnatal medical and
epidemiologic risk factors for sudden infant death syndrome."  in Harper RM
& Hoffman, HJ (eds).  SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME.  NY: PMA Publ.  1988.

5-Rogan, WK/  "Cancer from PCBs in breastmilk?  A risk benefit analysis."
PEDIATRIC RESIDENT, 25:105A, 1989.

6-Davis, MK, Savitz DA and Grausbard, BI.  "Infant feeding and childhood
cancer."  LANCET 2:365-368, 1988.

7-Hoffman JH, Damus K, Hillman L, et al: Risk factors for SIDS; results of
the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development SIDS
Cooperative Epidemiological Study.  Ann NY Acad Sci 533: 13030, 1998

8-Davis MK, Savitz DA. Graubard BI. Infant feeding and childhood cancer.
Lancet 1988;2:365-8

9- Freudenheim JL, Marshall JR, Graham S, Laughlin R, Vena JE, Bandera E, et
al. Exposure to breastmilk in infancy and the risk of breast cancer.
Epidemiology 1994;5:324-31

10- Koo WWK, Kaplan LA, Krug-Wispe SK. Aluminum contamination of infant
formulas. J Parenteral Enteral Nutrition 1988;12:170-3

11- Davidsson L, Cederblad Å, Lönnerdal B, Sandström B. Manganese absorption
from human milk, cow¹s milk and infant formulas in humans. Am J Dis Child
1989;143:823-7

12- Dabeka RW, McKenzie AD. Lead and cadmium levels in commercial infant
foods and dietary intake by infants 0-1 year old. Food Additives and
Contaminants 1988;5:333-42

13-C-1: Mytjens HL, Roelofs-Willemse H, Jaspar GHJ. Quality of powdered
substitutes for breastmilk with regard to members of the family
Enterobacteriaceæ. J Clin Microbiol 1988;26:743-6

14: Biering G, Karlsson S, Clark NC, Jonsdottir KE, Ludvigsson P,
Steingrimsson O. Three cases of neonatal meningitis caused by Enterobacter
sakazakii in powdered milk. J Clin Microbiol 1989;27:2054-6

15: Westin JB. Ingestion of carcinogenic N-nitrosamines by infants and
children. Arch Environmental Health 1990;45:359-63

16- Hartge P, Schiffman MH, Hoover R, McGowan L, Lesher L, Norris HJ. A case
control study of epithelial ovarian cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol
1989;161:10-6

17- Gwinn ML, Lee NC, Rhodes PH, Layde PM, Rubin GL. Pregnancy,
breastfeeding and oral contraceptives and the risk of epithelial ovarian
cancer. J Clin Epidemiol 1990;43:559-68

18- Rosenblatt KA, Thomas DB, and the WHO collaborative study of neoplasia
and steroid contraceptives. Lactation and the risk of epithelial ovarian
cancer. International J Epidemiol 193;22:192-7

19- Siskind V, Schofield F, Rice D, Bain C. Breast cancer and breastfeeding:
results from an Australian case-control study. Am J Epidemiol
1989;130:229-36

20- Romieu I, Hernández-Avila M, Lazcano E, Lopez L, Romero-Jaime R. Breast
cancer and lactation history in Mexican women. Am J Epidemiol
1996;143:543-52

21- Layde PM, Webster LA, Baughman AL, Wingo PA, Rubin GL, Ory HW and the
cancer and steroid hormone study group. The independent associations of
parity, age at first full term pregnancy, and duration of breastfeeding with
the risk of breast cancer. J Clin Epidemiol 1989;42:963-73

22-: Ing R, Ho JHC, Petrakis NL. Unilateral breastfeeding and breast cancer.
Lancet July 16, 1997;124-27

23-Thapa S, Short RV, Potts M. Breastfeeding, birth spacing, and their
effects on child survival. Nature 1988;335:679-82
Short . Breastfeeding (contraceptive effect). Scientific American
1984;250:35-41

24-Bitoun P. The economic value of breastfeeding in France. Les Dossiers de
l¹Obstetrique. 1994;#216 (available on request)

25-Radford A. The ecological impact of bottle feeding. (available on
request)

26-Gross BA. Is the lactational amenorrhea method a part of natural family
planning? Biology and policy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1991;165:2014-9

27-Kennedy KI, River R, McNeilly AS. Consensus statement on the use of
breastfeeding as a family

Others:
Saarinen UM.  Prolonged breastfeeding as prophylaxis of recurrent otitis
media.  Acta Paediatr Scand 71:567-571, 1982.

Morrow-Tlucak M. Haude RH, Emhart CB.  Breastfeeding and cognitive
development in the first two years of life.  Soc Sci Med 26:635-639, 1998

Specker BL, Tsang RC, Ho ML, et al.  Low serum calcium and high parathyroid
hormone levels in neonates fed humanized cow's milk based formula.  Am J Dis
Child 145: 941-945, 1991

Simmons BP, Gelfand MS, Hass M. Et al Enteobacter sakazakii infections in
neonates associated with intrinsic contamination of a powdered infant
formula.  Infection Control Hosp Epidemiol 10;398-401, 1989.

Montgomery DL, Splett PL.  Final Report: The economic benefit of
breastfeeding an infant enrolled in the WIC Program.  Colorado Dept. of
Public Health and Environment WIC Program.  Denver, CO.  August 1995.

Ware J. Hoey C (1996) Economic advantage of breastfeeding in an HMO setting
Academy of Breastfeeding News and Views 2(2):12.

Cohen R and Mrteck MB (1994) The impact of tow corporate lactation programs
on the incidence and duration of breastfeeding by employed mothers  AM J
Health Promot: 8:1-6

Lucas A. Morley R, Cole TJ, et al: breastmilk and subsequent intelligence
quotient in children born preterm.  Lancet 339 (8788): 261-64, 1992

Walker M: A fresh look at the risks of artificial infant feeding.  Journal
of Human Lactation 9(2): 97-107, 1993

Montgomery DL, Splett PL.  Final Report: The economic benefit of
breastfeeding an infant enrolled in the WIC Program.  Colorado Dept. of
Public Health and Environment WIC Program.  Denver, CO.  August 1995.

Ware J. Hoey C (1996) Economic advantage of breastfeeding in an HMO setting
Academy of Breastfeeding News and Views 2(2):12.

Cohen R and Mrteck MB (1994) The impact of tow corporate lactation programs
on the incidence and duration of breastfeeding by employed mothers  AM J
Health Promot: 8:1-6

Davis MK Savitz DA, Graubard BI: Infant feeding and childhood cancer.
Lancet 2(8607): 365-68, 1998
Mayer EJ, Hamman RF, Gay EC, et al: Reduced risk of IDDM among breastfed
Children.  Diabetes 37: 1625-32, 1998

 > From: [log in to unmask]
> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:14:48 -0500
> To: Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: relative risk calculation
>

> Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm back from being way behind in Digests, so I may have missed a few, but I
>> had to jump into this discussion about "I'm healthy and I was..."
>
> You and eveybody else.  If I had known I was in store for a character
> assasination and lecture after lecture on the "evils" of formula and told that
> I shouldn't feel bad knowing I could have been smarter/could have been at less
> risk cor cancer, as if I sat at home and actually felt this away for even one
> second, all for having the courage to point out a negatively worded blanket
> statement, I would have gladly kept my mouth shut.

 I've attached your entire email because I think it is very relevant.  I
question anyone's sincerety to help breastfeeding mothers who has made the
statements you've made above.  I'm embarrassed for you even if you aren't
convinced.

Appalled,
Chris