From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:04:22 -0500
> So what *do* you say?

Well, last time I was asked that question it was by a wrung out dad who came
for a pump and then spent 20 minutes on the phone with his wife (while I
hovered in my kitchen) trying to convince her to get the pump while she
tried to convince him she didn't want to do it.  He left without the pump
but not before asking me for reassurance that his baby would be fine.  I
don't really remember exactly what I said but it was something along the
lines of "I wouldn't be in this business if I really felt that breastmilk
and formula were equal and my ethics prevent me from lying to you about
their equality but lots of babies do fine on formula."  When he commented
that she felt guilty I told him that I imagined she did and that was a
legitimate feeling for her to have.  Of course, this was all said kindly and
with sympathy for him.  He really did look bewildered and it was hard for me
to balance being honest with not wanting to upset him further about
something over which he had no control...his wife was adamant.

Kathy