From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:21:24 +0100
I think this issue is again a contradiction between reality and expectations.  New parents expect their lives to change somehow, when they have a baby, just not that much.  Here in Spain, one of the most frequent questions we get is :When will my baby sleep through the night?  or something like: he/she is X months but doesn't sleep through the night yet.  It is as if to sleep through the night were a milestone in the life of a baby, like walking, their first tooth, or something.  The worse is that waking in the night is considered a consequence of breastfeeding, or co-sleeping, in short,  a bad habit fostered by bad parenting.  No wonder the most popular book with new parents is a detailed intructional book on Feber's methodology (let them cry).
When I was growing up in Nicaragua, nobody I knew breastfed their babies, but I remember people telling me that once you had children, you'd stop sleeping eight hours in a row.  It is just part of the job!!
My approach is to tell parents that all kids wake up, (otherwise there would not be so many gadgets: night lights, programable bottle warmers, pacifiers that glow in the dark, etc) with the breast they just have the quickest solution.  Once they perceive breastfeeding as an advantage, I then point out that it is just a phase, that it will pass "in a few months", and that it will get easier once the baby can walk out of the crib and into the parent's bed.  Finally, and this is from my own experience, we (the parents) start sleeping much better when we accept the situation...then comes the joy of having those soft little warm bundles close to you.

Lavinia, LLL Madrid.