Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 08:04:57 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Hi everyone; any ideas on this case??  1st time mom with 3 week old baby gave permission to post this.  They have already dealt with thrush, and are now looking at using gentian violet as the other meds did not clear it up, but discomfort from it is pretty minor at this point.  Positioning and latch both look really good and aside from the thrush mom's nipples feel fine.  Baby has audible swallows when feeding and comes off seeming satisfied; mom feels strong let downs and soaks breast pads well every hour or two, also feels breast is emptier / lighter after feeds.  Baby is feeding at least 8 times in 24 hours, is having at least 4 or 5 yellow seedy diapers per day and at least that many wets.   Baby lost 5 oz from birthweight initially, and as of Monday had only gained back 1 oz; we weighed again on Wednesday & baby had apparently gained another 3 oz but this was a different scale.  Doctor has had mom pumping (and I said to keep it up after each feed, with a rest at night) but 'till I saw her Wednesday nobody had told her to USE the EBM to feed baby (argh); I told her to do that (by cup, of course, as she didn't feel comfortable with SNS) and she will be back in Friday to weigh again.  She is getting about 1 to 2 oz per pumping after baby nurses..  Family history of allergy both sides, dad has another child who is pretty small for his age. Doctor is starting to talk about using the awful fake stuff instead of BF, and I told her that even if she medically HAS to supplement she can still BF and use cup or SNS as well... any ideas on how to proceed, why baby isn't gaining, what to tell this doctor so mom isn't hassled??  I could see NOTHING that seemed "off" in observing feeds except a slight whiteness/blanching at tips of nipples right afterwards which mom has noticed occasionally but it does not cause discomfort, interfere with let down or APPARENTLY impact milk transfer, and neither could the doctor's lactation nurse (no idea what credentials/background the nurse has, but I assume she's seen plenty of feeds!).  ANYTHING that is info on how to help baby gain and/or get doctor more supportive would be appreciated, either to me or on the list.  Thanks to all the great minds out there!!!!!!!!!
Esther Friedman, CLC, LLL Leader, WIC volunteer, nursing mom to Tyler
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2