From:
Barbara Shocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:42:20 -0500
I received this request for information and assistance.  I have permission to post this to obtain  your thoughts and suggestions.

I am an adoptive mom to a Vietnamese baby (home since January 14, 2001)
who spent much of last week in the intermediate care unit at Hershey.
One of her diagnoses is "failure to thrive".  Upon the advice of several
friends, I am seeking information regarding breastfeeding.

I thought about nursing last summer before Anna came home but was unable
to wean myself off Diovan HCT (160 mg).  In doing some research, I
learned that HCT is passed through breastmilk.  I am seeking your advise
on whether it is advisable for me to try to induce lactation.

I have two bio children who are now 24 and 25 and who were breastfed.  I
am also 48 (if age makes a difference).

I would also be open to receiving donor milk for Anna if there is a mom
in the area who is producing more than her baby requires.  Anna is
presently on Similac w/iron to which we add Microlipids to give her 750
cc of formula daily.  This provides 31.5 calories per ounce.  I do know
that breastmilk would be optimal for her, though.

She will be a year old March 27th and weighs a mere 10 lbs. 13 oz.  She
was hospitalized for nearly three months in Vietnam for pneumonia and
recovery from surgery to repair a diaphragmatic hernia and to remove a
teratoma from her chest.  During this time she received only IVs, rather
than TPN IVs.  Even on the Vietnamese growth charts, she is considered
severely malnourished.
 Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Barbara A. Shocker RN BSN IBCLC
Breastfeeding Resource Program