From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:32:29 -0500
Kathy D. said:
"He just got back from a big conference in Savannah,
Georgia focusing on coalition-building in communities in support of
vaccinations.  He came back from the conference with an entire bag full
of
"goodies" from the drug companies that make the vaccines, including lots
of
really cool pens, pads of notepaper, magnets, clocks (!), and two
books."

Here in Ohio, I attended a nurses day recepton last year and was given
everything from tote bags to clipboards to food and drink. We have an OB
unit that forbids formula reps from having direct contact with us
yet....there were the M___J______ people giving out low cal shakes and
promoting adult formulas (for the med/ surg nurses.) Boy were they
excited to see the OB staff!!! I was there with another LC and we took
great pains to explain to them why we could not accept their wares.

I have been invited to numerous "free lunches" that provided CMEs for
docs "courtesy of some drug company." I strongly encourage anyone
interested in this subject to log on at NoFreeLunch.org where the
research data on this problem will be easily accessible to you. Last
year they added a formula page.

Susan