Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:00:00 EST
Chris Mulford notes:

> What I was trying to do with the MBA is develop a shorthand that nurses could
> use in those little tiny blocks on hospital charts where they have to chart
> feedings.  The little blocks, natch, are just the right size to write
> something like "Sim-45cc"
> and not big enough to say anything descriptive.  (The scoring system from
> that Jan Barger describes from the new Counselling the Nursing Mother looks
> like it would fit the same size blocks.)

And that was precisely why we did it like that....use abbreviations nurses
were familiar with and fit in the box.  Actually, when we use it with nursing
staff or lactation consultants, we point out that anything less than a "good
breastfeed" requires further notations in the nurses' notes -- and also that
a dyad may need lots of help (Poor or Fair), but once latched on and doing
well, the feed can be classified as a good -- so the notation may be
something like FBF ----> GBF.

Jan