Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:25:02 EST
Kathy writes:
<< The way a bottle works, the baby "learns" to take very large meals
 (think about how much colostrum there is compared to how much formula an
 unsuspecting newborn consumes from a bottle usually 1-3 ounces). The
 unknowing baby is force-fed large amounts of formula from a bottle that is
 not only gravity-driven, but held in place so the baby cannot get away when
 it has had enough. This is a ploy by the formula manufactureres to get your
 baby used to a large volume, which you then must purchase to keep your baby
 satisfied.

I agree that parents do not realize that most of the time a baby is
bottlefed there are many mistakes made - they  are not taught how to safely
bottlefeed. Unlike the breast where the baby has some degree of control, the
baby is completely dependent on the bottle-holding person ( meaning there HAS
to be a person there!) to pace the feed safely. Babies who "guzzle" a bottle
in a few minutes are not "good eaters" they are eaters overwhelmed by
improper use of this feeding method. As far as it being a ploy of formula
companies,  I think it probably has more to do with poor feeding technique,
leading to feeling overstuffed becoming the tummy's norm,  and the increase
in calories needed due to fast flows, poorly metabilized formulations, and
spitting up,  that leads to the intakes we see. Most parents and most health
professionals see bottlefeeding as safe and "idiot-proof" and there is a lot
of both unsafe and neglectful feeding going on both in and out of hospitals.
The irony is that it seems the more we know about breastfeeding and babies,
the more likely we are to know how to make bottlefeeding the safest and most
nurturing experience it can be....which gets me back to a point I always
make. Babies who have breastfeeding problems, have FEEDING problems in
general. They are important to address and work on because of that, even if
the mother decides not to nurse anymore, the baby will be better off for
having been seen and helped to feed better.
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY