From:
"Heidi A. Bingham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:47:07 -0500
> remember also that Dr. Sears has been not only a pioneer, but also a
> martyr more times than one for the cause of breastfeeding and attachment.
> When he promoted a non-corporal style of training and discipline, he was
> attacked as permissive. When he tried to address the issue of how to spank
> with parents who were going to anyway, he was accused of betraying
> attachment ideals

<snip>

>We do not have to endorse every action he takes, but I would
> hope that we would at the very least extend respect to someone who has
been
> an elder in the field and attempt to enter into dialogue on this conflict
> without a pre-trial lynching.

Lisa ~ You make some great points.  I have much respect for Dr. Sears and I
do hope that everyone that contacts him regarding this (and I'm guessing
he's getting flooded) is gentle and accords him the respect he deserves.

However, in my mind there is a difference between offering info to those who
will do "it" anyway (spanking or formula feeding) and ADVERTISING for it.  I
have no problem with Dr. Sears posting a page about formula feeding,
everything from sterilizing bottles to choosing which kind to use to
interacting during feedings -- even saying "and to save money on the formula
try formula-site.com."  That's information, instruction, and a friendly,
helpful link.  But when he posts advertisements, that's not information!
It's an endorsement!  Formula ads are known to INFLUENCE mothers' feeding
choices, so while he's trying to influence one way with his strong :-) page
on breastfeeding, the ads water down his message.  It does appear, happily,
that the formula banner is not rotating on the breastfeeding page.

Here's another question to consider:  In his letter to explain his
reasoning, Sears writes,  "I hope it is clear AskDrSears.com strongly
advocates that breastfeeding is best. That's why the LLLI is featured
prominently as a banner advertiser."  OK.  The banner ad for LLL is supposed
to let us know that he strongly advocates breastfeeding.  What is the
formula ad supposed to let us know?  That he's reluctantly recommending it
as an option?  Wouldn't one assume that if one banner implies endorsement,
so does the other?

Let me make some comments from a design stand point (I am a Web desinger,
albeit small time):
1 -- This banner is well designed -- catchy, effictive.  The brightly
colored blocks popping onto the purple background attract the eyes, making
you want to see what it has to say.  Unlike most banners, it gets noticed.
It also blends well with the scheme of his Web site, looking less like an ad
(which we've all been programmed to ignore) and more like part of the
*content* of the site, increasing the "endorsement value" of the ad.  I have
to wonder, considering the hosting arrangement, if it wasn't planned that
way.

2 -- On the Web, a picture is worth a thousand words!  When putting a page
together, a good designer tries to get his primary message "up front" -- to
let her audience know what the site is about at a glance.  So, you've got
the formula banner combined with the colorful "welcome" header. pictures of
Dr. and Mrs. Sears and very little quick, easy to read information to tell
us what he and his site stand for.  So what does that visual impression get
across?  "Welcome to my online office, formula served here."  The link to
the breastfeeding page is far less "inviting" than the formula ad.

Yes, I greatly respect Dr. Sears.  He has done wonderful and exceptional
work for mothers, babies, and families everywhere.  He totally saved my
sanity when my 3rd child, a high needs baby, was born.  For that matter, his
material laid the groundwork for what has become my passion for ministering
to new moms, my aversion to the Ezzo materials, and through  that, goal of
earning the IBCLC.  I have been hoping for some time that he would get his
own Web site.  I have to say I am disappointed, now that he has.  I'm afraid
he is taking one big step backwards when he has struggled so hard, and put
up with so much, to get where he is and to forge the roads that we travel.

~ Heidi <--shutting up and going back to lurkdom now.