From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:30:29 -0700
Hi,

I have been working in a hospital environment now for three months, and I need to vent!  I am so tired of hearing that a baby was supplemented with SNS at the breast with formula because he is crying, fussing, etc.  The automatic reaction of staff is that the baby is simply not getting enough colostrum.  And I'm talking about babies who are latching on BEAUTIFULLY!!  I've seen all kinds of babies get the SNS by staff - IUGR babies, big babies, small babies... the idea that colostrum is simply not enough prevails here. Sometimes I wonder if the fact that hospital staff has access to the SNS is causing more harm than good. It is so easy to just fill that bottle up with formula and attach it to the breast - less guilt on the part of the nurse who offers it, you know.

I worked at WIC for 9 years and saw moms coming in all the time who were convinced they didn't have enough milk because they were offered the SNS in the hospital because the baby "wasn't getting enough". Now that I'm here, it's evident why these moms were given that impression.

What do I do? How can this be changed? Is there any hope?

Desparately yours,
Brenda PHipps, BS, IBCLC (thanks for listening!!)