Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:43:47 -0600
>With a pillow in place to support mom's arm, she can actually relax her
>muscles without the baby losing his place!!

"support mom's arm" is one of the main issues. Many women lay baby on the
"shelf" and lean over or twist their breasts to find the baby's mouth while
baby lies on the pillow. They get so used to this position that they cannot
later feed the baby while holding her in her arms.

I have had a number of clients whose nipple soreness was "caused" by trying
to accommodate a nursing pillow. For women with a short torso the pillow
with her arm on it raises baby above her nipple, then she must engage in
contortions to get the nipple to baby's mouth.

I find pillows helpful for women who have a long torso.  I like bed (or
some sofa ) pillows best for a couple of reasons. There is some "give" to
them which helps in positioning baby.  And they are less likely to become a
"security pillow" for a woman who at 3 months post partum is still having
to drag it everywhere she goes in order to feed her baby.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]