Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:57:45 -0500
I might be responding late to this thread, and this might have already been
covered---
The danger associated with saline implants is that the outer shell is
permeable--meaning that the saline can/will leak out while bodily fluids
leak in.  This sets up the environment for bacterial/fungal growths.  When
the implant ruptures the bugs growing in them are released into the tissues
and absorbed.  There has been documented growth in as little as 6 months
post surgery.  So, it would be my personal/professional opinion that this
mom should completely stop feeding on this side.  I would recommend
pumping/dumping until surgery is completed.  There is a great website
www.salineholocaust.org
It pertains mostly to silicone implants, but does have quite a bit of
information on saline bags as well.  It includes pictures of the fungus
infected bags as well.  On this site you will actually see a picture of
silicone being expressed from the nipple of a breast with a ruptured
implant.  So, yes,,,the saline and whatever bugs have grown in it will be
absorbed into the milk ducts, surrounding tissues and possibly the mom's
bloodstream.
Perhaps your mum will take a look at this site and choose not to have the
bag replaced?
Take care,
Debbie Grant