Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:27:52 -0700
Ok, I have another case question.  You know I haven't been at this too long but I didn't expect to get so many odd cases that I couldn't answer for myself... Murphy's law I guess.

Mom with 9 month old baby, NO history of breast surgery.  She has never been able to pump more than 2-4 ounces per day, and baby stopped taking the breast early on because he was frustrated at her supply.  She used to pump on a more frequent schedule but now is down to 3 pumpings per day since it doesn't seem to have helped her to pump more frequently.  She has had one round of Reglan that she says helped slightly but not enough to keep her going... is one round enough?  Not meaning one pill, but one prescription of it.  She also takes fenugreek 3x a day, has taken more of it but that also didn't seem to help.  Her menses have returned.

She says that when the baby did take the breast he always had great latch, she was evaluated by an LC in her area.  The area LC constantly asked her if she had undergone breast surgery because she couldn't find a better solution for this mom.  The mom has gotten discouraged that the LC community can even help her.  He husband seems to be a good support person, he rented her a hospital grade pump for the first year of this little one's life, so she has 3 more months with it.  She also says that she has never felt a let down or felt engorged.  She has no family history of these kinds of troubles, in fact her sisters have both nursed their children well into their second year.

What am I missing here?  Have I forgotten to ask something?  She supplements with formula and hates that she has to do that.  She was worried that her son was under weight but I think I helped her with that fear.

Melisa