From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:25:45 EST
In a message dated 1/15/1 10:47:22 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Mom's first baby (42 y/o)--baby was 37 weeks, and mom was induced for his

presumed large size.  >>

So, right off we are talking about pitocin and most likely an epidural. Both,
in my experience, associated with clamping jaws.

<snip>
<<he never did get onto the left side before discharge at 48 hours.  She also
had the impression that he would "clamp down" in an effort to keep the nipple
from pulling out of his mouth.  They were sent home with a hand pump to help
"draw out" the nipple. >>

Later in the post you say that the baby wasn't clamping at the beginning, but
here you say that he was.

<snip>
<<One of those days we tried a "rebirthing", or at least my understanding of
it. <snip> That was the turning point. >>

Water rebirthing was the turning point for a client of mine a couple of weeks
ago, too. Mom of twins with only one baby nursing. Unfortunately, he slipped
back for a couple of weeks, but that is another post.

<snip>

<<I saw them last week and was discouraged to find that his little jaw is
clamped tighter than ever...it seems it has gradually gotten worse; we cannot
seem to persuade him to open wide to latch anymore. >>

I have seen this before with finger feeding. (Most recently with the twin I
mentioned above).

<snip>

<< Mom says she is "a little" sore, and no damage is visible.>>

That would not be so unusual if the mom tends to let the baby suck on the
nipple *and* all he does when he is there is a flutter -suck.

<<It seems to me that he has gotten really good at finger-feeding, and likes

have his mouth open about that much, so is not transferring milk
effectively.>>

I agree that this is likely.

<snip>

<< Friday I was running out of ideas, but can't help thinking that the
finger-feeding is no longer a "good thing" for this particular guy--so had
them start using a Haberman, demonstrating how far they need to get his mouth
over the "big" part. >>

My client was alternating cup and finger feeding when I first saw her. The
result was not any better than with your client who is solely finger feeding.

<snip>

<<My only other thought as I watched/felt this "tight" little guy would be
CST,

but I don't know how to find a "reputable" therapist in our city..>>.

This is what finally worked for my client. She had taken the baby to a
massage therapist, b/c she was hesitant about a chiropractor, but with no
improvement. I finally helped her get the baby to feed well with a
supplementer at the breast and she followed by taking him to the chiropractor
b/c his jaw was still very tight. The increased flow allowed him to do okay,
but after 3 1/2 weeks, she was looking for a solution.

You could look up the Upledger Institute (www.upledger.com) and then "grill"
whoever you find. Look for someone with experience with babies and who
understands the mechanics of bf. You could also try the site for Network
Chiropractic (don't know the url) and look for a Network Chiropractor.
Network is effective w/o mechanical manipulation and is very gentle. My
children love it. I do have a name in Omaha, NE from my Network list, but I
do not know him. If you want the phone number, email me. You could call him
and see if anyone else is in the area near you or if he knows someone who
does CST. I also find that many PT's are trained in CST and many midwives and
naturopaths know the practitioners in their area.

<<Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC

Medical Director

MilkWorks

A non-profit Corporation providing breastfeeding education, consultation and

support in Lincoln, NE...opening Feb 1st!! >>

Congratulations!!!!!
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA