From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:39:43 -0500
>they were warned not to drink any alcohol at all as
>long as they were breastfeeding.

I've had great fun lately with an image that *I*, at least, find very
helpful.

Imagine someone drinking enough to get really drunk.

Now imagine trying to get drunk by drinking the *blood* of of that person!
You couldn't get *as drunk as* the person with the "drunk blood" unless you
had a complete *transfusion* of his blood.  *Drinking* all of his
blood wouldn't accomplish that same level of drunkenness, because you'd
*process* the "drunk blood" before it ever entered your bloodstream (not
to mention the fact that that's an awful lot of liquid to have to drink).

Milk is made from blood.  There's just precious little alcohol available in
the
blood from which the milk is made that the baby drinks, then processes, then
adds to his own blood stream.  Common sense says nothing much is going to
happen, especially if mom is not drunk but has had a modest amount to drink.

It's amazing that we even think to quibble over it.

I've had fun with this image with all sorts of drugs.  Imagine trying to
treat a headache using the blood of someone who took an aspirin...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com