From:
Hans Aulmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:09:59 +0500
Jan,
Policies is all very well, if your mums stay in hospital for more than 4
hours, and the staff have the dyad's interest at heart. But how do you teach
Staff and Doctors that babies must BF before leaving Hospital and 'know they
will stick to it, honestly'. Ideally, all Babies should BF before leaving
Labour room, after initiating BF within the first half hour. However, in
Pakistani hospitals (although BFHI), I are still fighting for this.  Written
policies I am still to see!!! OR Write them MYSELF!!!All deliveries are not
doing this simple exercise of initiating BF then following baby to the
'actual attachment and Feeding, as staff seem as well, as 'hospital policy'
to Not make allowances for Patience to wait,- till 'after' to weigh and bath
babies!!!! The later seems so important to staff that they rush babies away,
before they have the time or initiative signs to feed!  Any suggestions to
stop it happening would be gratefully received.
I've taken the first step with my personal deliveries but then they usually
are the feeders or I am lucky with them. It's the others I worry about! And
the Caesarean's! I find unless you observe bub, one often misses the initial
signs and then 'they' tend to be left unless they cry loudly for up to 24
hours and I strike them the next day during rounds and have to get them
feeding- usually after relations have filled then with Green tea or Glucose
25% solution.
Regards, Robyn Aulmann,RM
Quetta, Pakistan