From:
"Sara D. Furr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 22:51:34 -0600
In describing the December 5th, 2000 WSJ article entitled, "As Unicef
Battles Baby-Formula Makers, African Infants Sicken," Mary Cummins wrote,
"No mention, need I say, of the recently published research about the
protective effect of exclusive breastfeeding."

However, I read this article also and there was indeed a mention of the
Coutsoudis research.  In the last column of the text on page A18, the
article quotes Urban Johnson, UNICEF's regional director for eastern and
southern Africa as saying that even if a pilot program being conducted
testing the use of infant formula is successful, "infant formula absolutely
won't be used.  His rationale:  'Infant formula is not the best alternative,
even if it's free of charge.'  He says 'home food' alternatives, like
pasteurized breast milk, are cheaper.  Nursing by another, noninfected woman
is also an alternative.  And, he adds, infant formula often leads to
follow-up formula.  'We don't want to create the dependence when the child
grows older,' he says."

"Instead, Mr. Johnson and a number of his Unicef colleagues are pinning hope
on a recent and controversial South African study that suggests
breast-feeding may be just as effective as formula in preventing HIV
transmission, as long as the baby received no other nourishment for six
months.  Anna Coutsoudis, the study's lead researcher at the University of
Natal in Durban, hypothesizes that the antibodies contained in breast milk
may shield infants against the AIDS virus.  Under this scenario, anything
other than breast milk - including formula - alters the digestive tract of
babies, potentially making them more susceptible to disease.

"Dr. Coutsoudis's finding has gained an enthusiastic following among the
Unicef officials because it would enable them to preserve their long
campaign to promote breast-feeding, an effort credited with substantial
declines in infant mortality.  But even if Dr. Coutsoudis turns out to be
right, exclusive breast-feeding can be problematic, too.  For starters, a
massive education effort would be required, since most African women who
breast-feed also give their babies tea, water, and other food.  Dr.
Coutsoudis also concedes it will take at least two years to confirm her
hunch, though she is urging African governments to call for exclusive
breast-feeding now."

Overall, considering the conservative nature of the WSJ, I thought this
article was well-balanced in its description of the battle between UNICEF
and ABM manufactures, particularly Nestle.  I, too, was disappointed to see
that Geraldine Ferraro has chosen to be a consultant, making pleas to UNICEF
on Nestle's behalf.  However, the article explained that this strategy of
Nestle's was based on the fact that Ferraro is a long-time friend (since
1978) of Carol Bellamy who is UNICEF's chief.  Would we expect anything less
from that formidable foe than that they should try to use a friendship
between women to get their foot in the door of UNICEF?

Sara Dodder Furr, breastfeeding volunteer and advocate
Lincoln, Nebraska