From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:27:58 -0500
I am going through all the JHLs, but wanted to know if you could help me
located research on the number of hours a Health Care Professional (MD, RN,
OT, PT, or any other) gets on breastfeeding.

When I wrote a grant for Puerto Rico, we were able to use the data from a
study which an MPH (Masters in Public Health) student had done showing the
small numbers of hours the medical, nursing and school of public health
(maternal and child health) dedicated to breastfeeding education.  This
helped us to request funds for additional HCP education.

Is there anything like this for US schools?  I know the AAP did a survey,
but that was only peds, and spoke of their comfort level related to
breastfeeding support rather than the actual amount of education they had
received.  This is not to say you can't learn any other way (an MD who
breastfed her own baby or whose wife breastfed), but as you know even
personal experience is not enough to help someone with the types of
problems an HCP would need to deal with.

Right now I'm taking a Nursing Research course - and figured I'd use my
lactation experience to the report I need to write.

Jeanette Panchula, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA