From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:08:53 -0600
I have written and discarded many messages before sending a  reply to
this thread. I am NOT an RN. I have been employed in 3 different
hospitals in the area (Chicago) as an LC. My current position is that of
program coordinator and full time LC. I am part of the Nursing
Leadership group and part of the management team. I am not comfortable
with sharing salary details but I know that I make about what RN/LCs in
this area make. (I am happy with my salary). It has taken years of
networking and getting to know people to get this far. It doesn't hurt
that I am a published writer and editor. I know my limits and stay
within my scope of practice. (collaboration is the key) I do have
several years of college (begun after i was certified as IBCLC in 88)
and all the science, psyc and business courses have been invaluable.
Maybe someday I will finish my studies, but only to assist with further
advancement in the business world. I know of 3 or 4 other Non RN LCs in
this area who work at hospitals. It makes me sad that some of you don't
have this option; it is not a reflection of you but of the
administrators who are inflexible. I was lucky that I have been accepted
into this world and will work to keep current,  as I'm sure we all do. I
don't mean to toot my own horn, just give some hope and encouragement to
those of you who are on the threshold of this new world.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL (near Chicago)