From:
Nancy H Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:20:48 EST
<<In our area we have moms with needs that reach
beyond what the local LLLI groups allow us to discuss, such as extended
nursing, nursing while pregnant, etc.>>

Extremely odd!  It was while attending LLL meetings that I first met other
new moms  who joyfully and happily nursed their children for an extended time
and also nursed while pregnant - even tandem nursing later.  These topics
were covered frequently during the meetings I attended.

I asked my mom - a retired long-term leader - if these topics were always
mentioned even years ago.  She replied that even in the old "blue book"
manual, these topics were mentioned, and they were discussed frequently at
meetings "way back when".  She feels that for many years LLL was the *only*
source you could go for information about these matters - and many others for
that matter.

I always tell mothers that, just like individual lactation consultants or
even pediatric practices, each LLL Leader and group may have differing
personalities or even varying degrees of lactation knowledge so do not
hesitate to "shop around" for a group that feels comfortable for that mother.

Regards,
Nancy