From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:39:38 GMT
Welcome, Myra!
You say <<The last visit to the paediatrician showed a weight
gain of "only" 250g. (about 8 oz) in 1.5 months. >>

I realize babies wt gain slows down in later months, but this baby does not
seem to have gained well ever. It seems his corrected age is 4.5 mos now,
right. In the early months he gained about 100g per week; a good wt gain to
me would be 120 or 150 -240g per wk (4 or 5 -8 oz), so he was below what we
consider normal range. The last peds visit shows 250g (about 8 oz) in say
6wks, so that averages to (41g) 1.3 oz per week, which is what some babes
gain in one day!
This dyad has several risk factors in the past and present: restricted bf in
beginning weeks, long term pumping in beginning weeks, prematurity,
infrequent feedings <<As for nursing sessions, the baby nurses on both sides
approx. 5 times during the day and 3 at night.>> don't know if he bf more in
early weeks, return to work, and ??progesterone IUD (don't know the answer
here).
I would suggest that you look in our archives on weight gain, as we have
discussed robust wt gain vs hanging on the low-normal end of the wt gain, or
below normal gain, and whether this is fine vs adding formula supps. I don't
know the answer to this, but I think the wt gain could have been improved
earlier on. I think this mom may not have ever gotten to her full milk
producing potential due to the risk factors, and baby likely could not
extract the milk very effectively in early weeks. I would suggest they do
alot of increased bf, as more freq. feeds will increase fat content too, and
mom can increase pumping post feed if she can and supplement the ebm. If mom
can delay return to work I think that would be a great help too to get bf
back on track. Since baby's CORRECTED age is about 4.5 mos by my
calculations, probably too early to add solids.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA