Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 18:57:17 -0400
So here, paraphrased is an email I received yesterday.

A 4 week old baby cries all the time, is gassy, strains to have bowel
movements.  Mother has been advised by doctor to go off dairy products but
since this hasn't worked, he is now suggesting maybe hydrolyzed formula.

I write back saying I didn't think this was a good idea, because there are
other ways of treating colicky babies without stopping breastfeeding, here
is the first draft chapter from my book, blah blah blah.

I get a letter today that they thought my information was interesting but it
does not mention babies straining.  The doctor originally said the baby
should be on scheduled feedings for the straining, and the crying only began
since the baby was on scheduled feedings.

I write back that straining is what babies do, having a bowel movement is a
big event in their day.  Just relax!  And I wanted to add, find a new
doctor, aaaarrrrrrgh!

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC