From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:00:20 -0800
All societies have to figure out how to approach the concept of time (among
many other concepts fundamental to human life). There are three basic
approaches to this dimension of culture: focus on the present, past, or
future. Western (and Westernized) societies tend to focus on the future.
With this focus comes time management and scheduling. How societies think
about the timing of breastfeeding reflects how they think about time, in
general. The three approaches to the timing of breastfeeding include:
feeding on a schedule, feeding on cue and opportunity feeding. Women whose
breastfeeding worldview includes a focus on the future will tend to feed on
a schedule.

All societies also have to figure out their relationship with nature. The
three basic approaches to this cultural dimension are: mastery of nature,
harmony with nature, and subjugation to nature. Western (and Westernized)
societies tend to opt for mastery of nature. Mothers' relationship with
breastfeeding, tends to follow suit: breastfeeding is to be controlled, to
be in harmony with or to be in subjugation to. Then there are the cultural
dimensions of social relationships, human nature, human activity, etc. Each
of these can also be considered dimensions of breastfeeding:
mother-nursling relationship, nursling's nature, the activity of
breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding logs are likely to seem to "work" for mothers whose
breastfeeding worldview includes a focus on the future (scheduling) and
mastery of nature (reverence for science--including measurement, distrust
of natural processes...). Breastfeeding logs will probably by liked by LCs
who have a similar worldview and/or who regularly work with mothers who
have such a worldview. Breastfeeding logs reflect these Western approaches
to time and nature. Breastfeeding logs can also create (intentionally or
not) Western beliefs about breastfeeding: mothers receive messages about
what's important in breastfeeding simply by being offered the tool by a
(respected) health care provider.

Since Western breastfeeding worldview is not well matched with the biology
of breastfeeding, it would seem wise to try to assess a mother's
breastfeeding worldview before offering a tool that reflects a
poorly-matched set of breastfeeding beliefs and behaviors. If a mother's
breastfeeding worldview already reflects dominant Western beliefs, the tool
may be one way that the LC can respect a mother's cultural beliefs while
supporting, protecting and promoting breastfeeding. The LC, however, should
be aware that by using a breastfeeding log (and I do realize that
breastfeeding logs are not all the same), she may be communicating messages
about breastfeeding that she had no intention of communicating. So, I don't
think there's one answer here about whether breastfeeding logs are
beneficial, neutral or harmful. It depends on the nature of the particular
breastfeeding log, the breastfeeding worldview of the mother and the LC and
on how the tool is used and interpreted by both of them. It would be very
wise to research this issue--among women and LCs of varying cultures.

So how to help mothers breastfeed when they have a breastfeeding worldview
that doesn't match breastfeeding biology well? In short, I think that it
helps to validate the feelings that result from the mismatch (frustration,
confusion, anger...), normalize the mother's experience of breastfeeding
and mothering (it's OK that baby wants to nurse frequently, etc.), respect
cultural distress (small changes are likely to be more comfortable than
large changes suggested by an LC), address overriding beliefs (sometimes
mothers have a cultural belief that is stronger than her other beliefs) and
accommodate culturally based coping styles.

And remember: it's not our job (nor do we have the power--or right--in and
of ourselves to do so) to change people's culturally (or personally) based
beliefs and behaviors. We *can* provide evidence-based information and s
upport in as culturally competent a manner as possible.

For references supporting my thoughts on this and for a more detailed look
at the cultural dimensions of breastfeeding, see "The Cultural Art of
Breastfeeding," C. Good Mojab, LEAVEN, Oct-Nov 2000, pp. 87-91. It will be
available at www.lalecheleague.org in a few months, as well as on my web
site.

(And, speaking of fallibility, do be aware that there is an error in the
article: I intended to write "Christian concept" instead of
"Judeo-Christian" concept in the section on "Human nature." And I'm
grateful to a reader who let me know that the term "Judeo-Christian" itself
is problematic (and potentially offensive) in that its use tends to obscure
and discount significant differences between Judaism and Christianity.)

Always learning,

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS Clinical Psychology
(Breastfeeding mother, advocate, independent [cross-cultural] researcher
and author; LLL Leader and Research Associate in the LLLI Publications
Department; and former psychotherapist currently busy nurturing her own
little one.)
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://ammawell.homepage.com