From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:24:28 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ramon Khalona writes in response to my comment about Art of Fugue discs:
>
>>>I want to listen to those which give me the best "total package".
>>
>>In that case you should have left the Keller out, since it's not complete.
>
>This must be the time of the year to be picky.

Must you be so serious? [There was a smiley and a "cheers" at the end of
the above post that should have given you a clue]

>Ramon certainly appears to have definitive ideas concerning how and which
>recordings "should" be reviewed.  I look forward to his following through
>on his views.

As a peace offering of sorts, I suggest you add the following two
recordings to your list:

- Saar Chamber Orchestra/Karl Ristenpart on Accord/Musidisc.  I mean his
2nd recording of the work, with the Bitsch and Pascal orchestration.  This
was released on Nonesuch LPs and was released in France last year on a 6-CD
set (see fnac.com or alapage.com) devoted to Ristenpart's orchestral Bach
recordings (those who are lacking Ristenpart's wonderful Brandenburgs on CD
take note, they're included in this wonderful set).  This recording is not
to be confused with Ristenpart's earlier recording of KdF, with the same
orchestra, but with the foreshortened Winschermann orchestration that was
released on Japanese Erato CDs.  The Bistch and Pascal orchestration is a
superb achievement and one of the best recordings old Ristenpart ever made.

- Heribert Breuer's fabulous Berlin recording on Arte Nova for a quartet
of ensembles.  Purists may find the inclusion of a vibraphone in one of the
ensembles a little irreverent, but make no mistake, this is wonderful music
making.

Enjoy,

Ramon Khalona