From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:39:16 -0500
Ramon Khalona writes in response to my comment about Art of Fugue discs:

>>I want to listen to those which give me the best "total package".
>
>In that case you should have left the Keller out, since it's not complete.

This must be the time of the year to be picky.  By "total package" I mean
the totality of movements of the Art of Fugue which are presented in any
particular recording, not any necessity to include all twenty movements of
the composition.  Also, I feel I stated clearly in my Part 1 introduction
that no penalty would be assigned to recordings which did not include all
the movements, simply that each movement provided would be reviewed.  That
was obviously my way of stating that I have no affection for the idea that
all twenty movements need to be provided.  Ramon certainly appears to have
definitive ideas concerning how and which recordings "should" be reviewed.
I look forward to his following through on his views.

Don Satz